Town FAQS2017-03-14T11:50:37-04:00
What is a Purchase Order?2017-03-14T12:12:56-04:00

A Purchase Order is a document issued by the contracting agent authorizing a purchase transaction with a vendor to provide or perform goods or services to the contracting unit, which, when fulfilled in accordance with the terms and conditions of a request of a contracting agent and other provisions and procedures that may be established by the contracting unit, will result in payment by the contracting unit.

Purchase Orders are entered into the Finance system which encumbers funds against appropriate department budgets, the encumbrance process ensures budget accounts are not over expended.

When determining my value, are you comparing my home to the sales of homes in my area or across town?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

We strive to use sales in your area; our objective is to compare homes based on location, style, age, and square footage.

Are the assessment value changes made on only the inspected 25% of properties?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

No. We will inspect 25% of the properties each year, but all of the assessment values for the entire township are changed each year.

What if I’m not home when the inspector visits can I make an appointment?2020-01-10T11:59:50-04:00

The first time an inspector visits a property; all exterior structures will be measured. A notice will be left indicating when a second inspection will be attempted. There will be a contact phone number to schedule an appointment if necessary. A maximum of three attempts will be made to inspect a property.

When will my property be inspected?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

Property owners will be notified by letter when the inspector will begin work in their neighborhood. The letter will indicate the time frame of inspections in the neighborhood. The inspector will carry identification The State requires we complete a full inspection every four years (25% per year).


Can I discuss the value of my property with the Inspectors?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

The field inspectors are only responsible for performing inspections and gathering information and can not answer questions regarding the value of your property. Only a Certified Tax Assessor can set the value on your home.

Can I discuss the new assessment with the Assessor if I disagree or have questions?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

Yes, the Tax Assessor will hold informal meeting to meet with residents who have questions. If after this meeting, you still disagree, you may file a formal appeal with the Somerset County Tax Board by May 1st of the tax year. To contact the Assessor’s office call 908-753-8000 ext. 235

When will taxpayers be informed of their new assessment?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

All property owners will receive a written notice of their new assessments on or about the beginning of each February.

How will a reassessment affect taxes?2017-01-06T22:06:11-04:00

The assessor’s office has no control over budgets; its only function is to reestablish the municipal overall assessment value. The budgetary levy (county budget, school budget, municipal budget, open space, fire district budget, and library budget) is then divided by the overall ratable assessment value to determine the tax rate.

What is done during a reassessment?2017-01-06T22:06:11-04:00

A subcontracted inspector performs a physical inspection of property. The purpose of this inspection is to maintain our database, which is vital to maintain equity and uniformity. Measuring all exterior structures, and inspection of the interior to determine what amenities exist. (The homeowner can deny the inspector access to the interior but then the inspector will be forced to estimate the inside amenities of your property). A Certified Tax Assessor then performs an analytical study of market data (e.g. sales, rental rates, capitalization rate, etc.), to set the assessments at full and fair value.

What causes inequitable assessments?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

Fluctuations in the economy; changes in characteristics of the parcel or neighborhood; improvements completed without permits; changes in style; market pressure (supply and demand).

Why is there a need for a reassessment?2017-01-06T22:06:11-04:00

To spread the tax burden equitably within the municipality, to assess property at the same standard of value and to ensure that every property owner is paying his/her fair share.

What is a Full and Fair Value?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

It is the value (price) at which a property would theoretically sell for in a fair and bona fide sale, on October 1st of the previous year. Example: Assessments for the 2014 tax year would be based upon the assessor’s opinion of value on October 1st, 2013.

What is a reassessment?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

It is an annual process of maintaining all assessment values at 100% of full market value

How do I voice a complaint2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

Please email all concerns and complaints to

How do I file a tax appeal?2020-01-13T16:49:24-04:00

If you wish to  file a tax appeal visit the Somerset County Board of Taxation. There, forms, instructions and “A Guide to Tax Appeal Hearings” may be obtained.

You may also contact the Somerset County Board of Taxation:

PO Box 3000
Somerville, NJ 08876

If the assessed value exceeds $1,000,000 you have the option of filing your appeal directly with the NJ Tax Court at PO Box 972, Hughes Justice Complex, Trenton, NJ 08625. For more information visit NJ Courts Online. Select Tax Court.

In a non revalued/ non-reassessed district: Assessment appeals must be filed on or before April 1 of the current tax year, or 45 days from the date mailed, as it appears on the front of this notice, whichever date is later

In a revalued/reassessed district: Assessment appeals must be filed on or before May 1 of the current tax year.

What is the soil movement process through the Engineering Department?2020-01-10T12:21:27-04:00

Warren Township has determined that the uncontrolled and unregulated disturbance, excavation, filling and removal of soil has resulted and will result in conditions detrimental to the safety, health and general welfare of the public.  As such, compliance with section 15-9.2 of the Warren Township Ordinance may be required for work performed on residential properties. To determine applicability, the concerned party shall consult section 15-9.2 and questions directed to one of the employees in the Engineering Department. Generally, a permit application (which is available online) along with a plan to address section 15-9.2 shall be submitted along the requisite fees to the Engineering Department. The application and plan will be reviewed and once approved, a letter written approving the application.  (This approval is considered a prior approval for the construction department).  SOIL MOVEMENT/CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS APPLICATION

How do I request for maps or documents from the Engineering Department?2017-01-06T22:06:11-04:00

The Engineering Department does have a significant number of maps and documents available for review by the public.  Assistance in reviewing the documents can be offered to the extent of the Engineering Department’s knowledge.  If copies of the maps and documents are needed, an OPRA request can me made through the Township Clerk’s office specifying the records requested.

Where can I find bid announcments?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

Vendors are encouraged to visit the Township website for all RFB announcements.

What is the approval process for bids?2016-04-19T15:46:56-04:00

Bids are evaluated for the lowest responsible bidder, compliance with bid specifications, financial responsibility, reputation of vendor, service availability, and other relevant considerations.

After analysis, a recommendation is submitted to the Township Committee for award. All awards or rejections normally occur within 60 days unless an extension is granted by bidder.

Notifications of award/ rejection will be made in writing.

What procurement methods are solicited?2020-01-15T13:17:51-04:00

Request For Proposal (RFP)
 RFP’s may be utilized for the procurement of the Township Clerk Office.

Request for Quotation (RFQ)
Purchases between $2,500.00 and the statutory bid threshold of $40,000.00 will generally require a Request of Quotation (RFQ).

Request for Bids (RFB)
These are generally required for any commodity, service, or public improvement when costs exceeds the statutory bid threshold ($40,000.00), pursuant  to NJ S.A. 40A: 11-3, and must be submitted in accordance with the terms and conditions prescribed in the respective package

All RFB’s must be submitted on forms supplied by the Township. For packages that contain plans or detailed specification, there may be a fee. Vendors are encouraged to read the the Township website for current RFB announcements

RFB’s are publicly opened and read aloud at the date, time and location specified. Prospective bidders are invited to attend all openings. Bid submissions are available for inspection after bids have been opened.

What is a Business Registration Certificate (BRC)?2020-01-15T13:18:50-04:00

A Business Registration Certificate is required from all vendors who receive any payment above $6000.00 annually from Warren Township. The Business Registration Certificate law covers all contracts awarded by a contracting agency. This includes contracts that are awarded by public bid, purchase order, professional service, competitive contracting, resolution for items exempt from receipt of bids, emergency contracts, request for proposals, concessions, or other mechanism, when the value of the individual contract or annual aggregate value with the vendor exceeds 15% of the contracting agency’s bid threshold.

How can I make an appointment with the Purchasing Department?2017-01-06T22:06:12-04:00

Vendors are encouraged to make an appointment before calling the Purchasing Office to assure availability of Purchasing personnel by calling 908-753-8000 ext 233.

How do I find out about discounted park tickets for summer and winter?2020-01-10T16:36:30-04:00

Call Middlesex Recreation at 732-356-7400 ext 277 for tickets.

Long Hill Township Parks & Recreation Department offers Discounted Admission Tickets

Somerset County Parks Commission

How do I become a volunteer for the Recreation Department?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

Please visit the Recreation’s page under “Departments” and click on “Forms” on the right side. Print the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION then email, fax, or mail to the Recreation Office. While there check out the opportunities listed and register to help at an event.

How do I find a Senior Club in Warren Township?2020-01-10T16:42:24-04:00

If you are a Warren resident, please call 732-469-4771 or look at our Directory for more information. They meet the first Wednesday of each month at Our Lady of the Mount Church at 10am. If you are a Somerset County resident, visit or call 908-753-9440 for the County Warrenbrook Senior Center located in Warren.

How do I find out about Warren Township trails?2020-01-10T16:43:40-04:00

Please visit Recreation’s page under “Departments” then click on “Parks, Trails, Facilities” on the right. This allows you to view descriptions and locations of the 7 Warren trails. You are also able to print the Trails Pamphlet.

Do I have to sign up for basketball court usage?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

Warren Township does not require a basketball sign-up sheet. We use first-come-first serve.

Do I have to sign up for tennis court usage?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

Warren Township does not require a tennis sign-up sheet. We use first-come-first serve. There are rules posted on board before entering the courts.

How do I find out about coaching requirements?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

Please visit the Recreation’s page under “Departments” and click on “For Coaches” on the right. All instructions are located on this page.

How do I rent a ball field?2020-01-10T16:44:53-04:00

Please visit the Recreation’s page under “Departments” and click on Forms on the right. Complete the FACILITY USE APPLICATION then drop off, email, fax or mail in to Warren Township: Recreation Office, 46 Mountain Boulevard, Warren, NJ 07059. Please review the FACILITY USE REGULATIONS, LEASE AGREEMENT & FEES that are listed on the application.

How do I rent the pavilion?2020-01-10T16:51:28-04:00

Please visit the Recreation’s page under “Departments” and click on “Forms” on the right. Complete FACILITY USE PERMIT then drop off, email, fax or mail to the Recreation Office at Warren Township: Recreation Office 46 Mountain Boulevard, Warren, NJ 07059. Please review the Pavilion rules & fees. You must have homeowners, rental or business insurance in order to rent the pavilion.

How do I sign up for youth sports?2020-01-10T16:55:39-04:00

Please visit the “Sports Group” section on the Recreation page. The emails are listed for each Adult Sport Group. To view the Youth Sport Organizations, you can click on their website to search for information. Please note Warren Township Recreation does not run youth sports except for Tennis Lessons and High School Intramural Basketball. You will find them under “Programs” on Recreation’s page.

How can I advertise my upcoming Warren Township event?2020-01-10T16:57:05-04:00

If your company is located in town and it’s a FREE event or you are a local non-profit organization, the Recreation Office would be happy to advertise for you. We email a weekly newsletter to residents every Friday. Information must be in no later than Thursday 3pm. You can also contact the Warren Cable Channel.

How do I find information about summer camps and events?2020-01-10T16:59:44-04:00

Receive update recreation news as it comes out by signing up for the Recreation Newsletter, visit the Recreation page regularly, or the The Echo-Sentinel. Registrations begin mid April.

See Warren Township Recreation Calendar on Burbio

Are there affordable quality housing options available for all ages?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00
When is my company’s invoice paid?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

The invoice is paid once a month after the Warren Township Committee approves the bill list.

How do I get my plan review escrow deposit back?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

Escrow deposits are required for development projects and are applied to the various boards for approvals. These accounts are charged for the applicable professional invoices that are billed the account. The balance of the account, if any, is refunded at the conclusion of the project. Please contact the Office of Finance to discuss any escrow deposit.

How do I pay a traffic ticket online?2020-01-13T16:21:25-04:00

Please visit  the New Jersey Courts website

How do I file an appeal through the Municipal Court?2020-01-13T16:32:29-04:00

A person who disagrees with the decision of a Municipal Court may appeal. That appeal must be filed within 20 calendar days of the court’s decision. Appeals from the Municipal Courts are heard at the county level in the Superior Court, Law Division. The Superior Court Judge reviews the transcript (produced from the audio recording of the trial) and any other evidence or legal papers from the trial and makes a decision regarding the case. New testimony or evidence are generally not admitted for the appeal. The Judiciary has prepared an information packet, ” How to Appeal a Decision of a Municipal Court “, for persons wishing to appeal a Municipal Court decision.

What are the recycle pick-up dates? How and where can hazardous materials be disposed of?2020-01-13T16:37:42-04:00

Somerset County provides an annual schedule of drop-off dates and locations for Hazardous materials and Recycle pick-up schedule. A package containing this information is mailed to residents each year. The Department of Public Works will provide you the upcoming dates and will send you a copy of the current pickup schedule if you give them a call at (908) 753-1223 or you may go to the Somerset County Recycling website.


What are the utility companies in Warren Township?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

Gas – PSE&G

Phone – Verizon

Electric – JCP&L or PSE&G

Cable – Cablevision / FIOS

Water – New Jersey American Water Company


When do I need a permit?2020-01-15T12:19:06-04:00

Permits are required for most construction activities. All questions can be directed to the Construction Dept. at (908) 753-8000 ext 240, 241 or 242. Most tree removals also require a permit from the Zoning Dept. please call (908) 753-8000 ext. 243 or fill out application and drop off at the Zoning Office. Tree Permit application


Who do I make my check out to?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

Please make checks payable to Warren Township.

How do I schedule an inspection through the Construction Code Office?2020-01-15T12:21:31-04:00

Please contact the office at 908-753-8000 ext 240, 241 or 242 to make an inspection appointment at least 24 hours prior to the day the inspection is desired. Inspection scheduling is done between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm.



What can be done about my neighbor’s pool that has stagnant water and is creating a mosquito problem?2020-01-06T16:05:26-04:00

Report it to the local health department with the specific address and location. The inspector will go out to the property to verify the complaint and take the appropriate steps to have the problem corrected.

How can I safely dispose of unused syringes?2020-01-10T15:47:27-04:00

Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital has a Safe Syringe Program. They can be reached at 908-685-2200 ext 3258 for further information.

Where can I get a rabies shot for my dog or cat?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

The Health Department, in conjunction with the Middle-Brook Regional Health Commission, offers free rabies clinics in May, November, and December.  Please contact the health department for specific dates and locations.

How do I license my dog?2020-01-06T16:12:00-04:00

Dogs must be licensed when they are 7 months old and by January 31 of each year. Proof of a current rabies vaccination must be presented to license a dog. Rabies certificates must be valid for the full licensing year. In addition, evidence of spay/neutering should be supplied, if applicable, to receive a discounted application fee.

How and where can I have my well tested?2017-01-06T22:06:12-04:00

The NJ Department of Environmental Protection requires well testing upon transferring a property. Information on the requirements may be found on the State of New Jersey Division of Environmental Protection Website. This site also provides valuable information for those wanting to test their well for their general knowledge. The health department encourages all property owners with wells to test it frequently to be sure of a safe and drinkable water supply.

How do I know if a property has a septic or well?2020-01-06T16:24:50-04:00

If you provide the address and the block and lot for a site we can provide the file for review, if one exists. Often, but not always, this information will be available in the property file.

How do I get a certified copy of a marriage certificate, birth certificate, or death certificate?2016-04-19T15:46:57-04:00

Copies are kept in the town the event took place.

You need to fill out the application, present your photo Identification and a check for $10 per copy.


How do I apply for a marriage license?2020-01-08T16:08:53-04:00

You apply for a Marriage License in the town you or your fiancé reside unless you are from out of state. In that case, you apply in the Town the marriage is to occur. Applications are by appointment only Monday through Friday 10:30 am – 3:30 pm. Once you apply, there is a 72-hour waiting period before the license can be issued. Once the license is issued, it is valid for 30 days.

To apply you need to bring the following items:

A valid, government issued photo identification
Your Social Security number (you do not have to show your Social Security card)
Your parent’s names at birth (maiden name) and the place of birth for both
The Officiant’s  name/address and telephone number, if known
One witness that is over 18 and speaks and understands English
Payment of $28.00, exact cash or check – Credit cards are accepted with a $3.00 convenience charge

If either party has been in a previous marriage, civil union or domestic partnership, you will need to provide the name of the former spouse, date and location of the divorce/termination or date and location of death.


How do I become a sponsor through the Recreation Department?2017-10-26T10:27:14-04:00

Go to our Donation/Sponsorship page and click on Donation/Sponsor. Print out the sponsor form email, fax or mail it to the Recreation Office. It will be reviewed by the Township Administrator, approved then the office will contact you for more information and instructions on sending the donation or sponsorship check.

How do I sign up for the Recreation Weekly Newsletter?2016-04-19T15:46:58-04:00

Go to the Township Homepage at you will see a place to enter your email for township announcements. This will ensure you will receive the newest updates of Recreation news and other local township events.

How do I report a catch basin that needs to be cleaned out?2016-04-19T15:46:58-04:00

Please file report with the Public Works Office at 908-753-1223

How can I report intersections and areas that need to be trimmed?2016-04-19T15:46:58-04:00

Please report areas that need to be trimmed to the Public Works Office at 908-753-1223

How do I dispose of old furniture?2020-01-15T13:22:38-04:00

There is a MINI DUMP at Public Works that runs from May to September of every year. Please call the Public Works Office at 908-753-1223 for further information.



How do I report a pothole which needs to be repaired?2016-04-19T15:46:58-04:00

Please report pothole repairs to the Public Works Office at 908-753-1223

How do I receive a new recycling bin?2016-04-19T15:46:58-04:00

Recycling bins may be picked up at Public Works facility located at 1 Bardy Road from 7:30am to 3:00 Monday through Friday

How do I request to have a sign installed (speed limit, dead end, curve ahead, hidden driveway, etc)2016-04-19T15:46:58-04:00

Please call in requests to the Public Works Office at 908-753-1223

How do I request to have a tree removed within the Right-of-Way?2016-04-19T15:46:58-04:00

Please call in requests to the Public Works Office at 908-753-1223

How do I prepare an appeal to the Warren Township Zoning Board of Adjustment?2017-01-06T22:06:12-04:00
  1. Obtain packet containing Variance Application and Checklist from Clerk to the Board of Adjustment. (Phone Number:  908-753-8000 ext. 260)
  2. Obtain Certified Property list from Engineering office – $10.00
  3. Submit the following to the Clerk of the Board of Adjustment:
    • completed application with Checklist noting submitted documents & material, in triplicate
    • completed Certifications from the Tax Collector. & Engineering Dept
    • FOURTEEN (14) copies of an accurately drawn plot plan in accordance with the Checklist requirements. If applicable, provide the required number of any other documents accompanying the application
    • FOURTEEN (14) copies for Site Plan Approval of an accurately drawn site plan & pertinent documents in accordance with the checklist requirements for submission to the T.C.C.
    • check made payable to Warren Township for required application fee indicated in the Checklist
    • submit a separate check for required escrow deposit made payable to Warren Township for the amount indicated in Checklist
  1. Before serving any notices, obtain date of public hearing     from the clerk, who will review your application for Completeness. The board attorney will review your sample notices prior to publication & service
  2. At least ten (10)  days prior to the date of Public Hearing, you will be Required to place a Notice of Public Hearing of your case in the The Courier News, the official newspaper of the Municipality
  3. At least ten (10) days prior to the date of Public Hearing, you will be Required to notice the Property Owners on the Certified List you Obtained from Engineering via certified mail or personal service
  4. At least five (5) days prior to the date of Public Hearing, submit the Following to the Clerk.
    • Property Owners list completed as to date & manner of service
    • Sample copy of Notice of Public Hearing as served on the Property owners
    • Proof of publication of Notice of Public Hearing as published in the Courier News
    • Notarized Affidavit of Service of Notice
  1. At the time of the hearing, applicant must appear in person or be represented by an Attorney. Corporations & Partnerships MUST be represented by an Attorney

NOTE: The Zoning Board of Adjustment meets on either the first or Third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m., unless otherwise indicated. The Schedule of Public Meeting Dates is posted on the Municipal Bulletin Board.

Do I need a permit to put a shed on my property?2016-04-19T15:46:58-04:00

Yes, a Zoning Permit is needed for a shed that is under 100 SF.  The shed is to be within the setbacks for the zone your property is located within. If the shed is over 100SF, fill out a permit through the Construction Office along with a Zoning Form to ensure zoning compliance.


Do I need a permit to remove trees?2020-01-13T16:53:33-04:00

Yes a Tree Permit is required to remove trees. This permit allows you to take down 1 tree per quarter acre a year; up to 4 trees per acre a year.

Do I need a sign permit to put up a new sign or a temporary sign?2020-01-13T16:56:36-04:00

A Sign Permit is required for all signs permanent and temporary.

When do I need a fence permit?2020-01-13T16:55:11-04:00

A Fence Permit is required anytime a fence is being constructed or replaced.