(As mandated by the Recreation Policies)
Warren Township Recreation is very thankful and appreciative of the many residents who volunteer their time to coach our youth in various sports. We are also committed to providing our volunteers with the necessary tools to effectively interact with the thousands of youth who participate each year. To ensure that both our volunteer coaches and you participants have an enjoyable and safe sports experience, the Warren Township Recreation and Warren Township Committee have mandated a coaches clinic for all volunteer coaches through the Rutgers Youth Sports Research Council and a fingerprinting and background process for all volunteer coaches through the State Police Department mandated Company (see fingerprint instructions).
This clinic is mandatory for all new volunteer coaches and is offered in Warren Township on several occasions throughout the year. The cost for the course and all materials is $40.00* for non-Warren and Watchung Borough residents. Upcoming clinics will be posted on this website. Below is some detailed information pertaining to the Rutgers SAFETY clinic.
*Any change in the cost will be posted in the actual announcement of the scheduled clinic.
On May 12,1986, New Jersey became the first state in the nation to pass legislation, which protects volunteer athletic coaches, managers, and officials from lawsuits. Commonly referred to as the “Little League Law” (2A:62A-6 et. seq), this legislation extends partial civil immunity to volunteers who have attended a “safety orientation and training skills program.”
Since 1986, the Youth Sports Research Council, in cooperation with the New Jersey Recreation and Park Association (NJRPA) has trained more than 250,000 volunteer coaches in New Jersey.
In accordance with the stipulation in the Little League Law, the Rutgers S.A.F.E.T.Y. Clinic:
- Helps coaches minimize the risk of injury to young athletes
- Provides information about fundamental coaching concepts which enhances volunteer coaches’ effectiveness
- Protects volunteer coaches from civil lawsuits
The curriculum for the Rutgers SAFETY. Clinic is based upon the “Minimum Standards for Volunteer Coaches’ Safety Orientation and Training Skills Programs” (N.J.A.C. 5:52).
The topics include:
- Legal Aspects of Coaching
- Psychological Aspects of Coaching
- General Coaching Concepts
- Training and Conditioning Athletes
- Medical/ First Aid Aspects of Coaching
Individuals attending the Rutgers SAFETY. Clinic receive:
- The Coaches’ Reference Manual (5th Edition)
- The Rutgers SAFETY Clinic Certification Card
- Permanent registration with YSRC on online database (.3 CEU)
J.A.N.E.T Policy Statement
WHEREAS, the Warren Township Recreation Commission and Township of Warren authorize, through a permit process, the use of Warren Township and Warren Board of Education facilities by various youth sports organizations;
WHEREAS, the Township of Warren is committed to ensuring a safe environment within which youth sports organizations can successfully operate;
WHEREAS, on October 4th, 2006 residents Kimberly Marques and Karen Zilinski made a presentation to representatives of the Township’s youth sports organization at a “Sports Forum” hosted by the Recreation Commission;
WHEREAS, this policy will be phases in within a two year time period. All organizations must be fully compliant by January 1, 2010.
WHEREAS, in honor of Janet Zilinsky, this policy shall be officially referred to as the Warren Township Recreation Commission’s J.A.N.E.T. Policy (Janet’s Always Near Emergency Treatment);
NOW , THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED by the Recreation Commission of the Township of Warren, County of Somerset, New Jersey as follows:
I. J.A.N.E.T. Policy.
Youth Sports Organizations Utilizing Township Athletic Facilities Shall Adhere to the Following Safety and Emergency Requirements.
Each youth sports organization wishing to utilize Township of Warren athletic facilities is required to assign a “Safety Coordinator” for its organization. The Safety Coordinator shall be responsible for the following:
- Creating and monitoring a Safety Committee
- Holding seasonal parent meetings to discuss organizational emergency procedures
- Ensuring that potential coaches have completed the following:
- Rutgers S.A.F.E.T.Y. course (mandatory)
- CPR/AED (AED) Automated External Defibrillator certification (mandatory, at least one coach on each complex must have CPR/AED training during a game or practice)
- Community First Aid certification ( recommended)
- Assisting Township to ensure that an AED device is accessible at each athletic site and in proper working condition.
- Submitting to the Recreation Department a seasonal coach’s roster from their organization for each season. Whereby working directly with the Recreation Director sharing excel spreadsheet information provided by the Director and finally assist in coordinating training.
- Payment will be required at time of signup for Rutgers clinic for non-residents. Coach’s rosters are due before field usage permits are received for each season.
The President or presiding officer of each Township-recognized independent sports league must sign a document, (J.A.N.E.T’S Policy) provided by the Recreation Director, which states that the President or presiding officer has read the this policy and understands its intent.
III. FAILURE TO COMPLY
In the event that any organization fails to comply with the above outlined procedures a field/facility permit will not be awarded.
Recreation Director: Monitor and maintain master excel spread sheet; share excel list of passing coaches with Sport Organization Safety Coordinator as it is updated.
Rutgers Clinician: Schedule and teach the Rutgers Coach’s SAFETY Clinic, supply the participant names on the Warren Township Safety Program excel sheet for the Safety Coordinators and Recreation Director.
CPR/AED Coordinator: Schedule CPR/AED classes, supply the participant names on the Warren Township Safety Program excel sheet for the Safety Coordinators and Recreation Director.
Sports Organization Safety Coordinator: Supply for the Recreation Director, Coach’s Roster beginning of each season. When there is a coach who completes one of the above classes on their own it is up to the “Safety” Coordinator to notify the Recreation Director with names and proof of completion. Notify own coach’s of class dates.
Money: Warren Township will pay for Warren Coach’s only for Rutgers Clinic.
A copy of this policy shall be forwarded for approval by the Township Committee. This policy will be signed by each organization to show good faith and that they are in agreement with said policy.
Whereas (RESOLUTION 2018-88), the Township Committee of the Township of Warren (the “Township Committee”) has determined that it is necessary for the security and well-being of its residents that any Director, Assistant Director, Secretary, a member of the Board of Director involved with a sports club, paid employee of a sport league sand volunteer coaches; either head coach or assistant head coach, of the Township’s various sports leagues (League Officials), of children under the age of eighteen shall be fingerprinted and undergo a criminal history background check. The Township Committee has determined that any individual who has been convicted of a crime or offense considered by the Township Administrator and the Chief of Police is to be a disqualifying event shall be removed from their current position of coach and barred from any league activities.
Coaches Instructions for Fingerprinting
- Enrolling for fingerprints up to February 15, 2020 you will print, fill out and bring with you to your appointment the Universal Form for Fingerprinting from IdentoGo. Please be advised that effective May 1, 2014, only the newest version of the fingerprint form will be accepted at all NJ Enrollment Centers. This version, IDG_NJAPP_051719_V1, is clearly marked in the lower right-hand corner of the Universal Fingerprint Form. Any applicant arriving to a scheduled appointment with a previous version of the form will be turned away and will only be eligible for a partial refund per the published refund policy on this website and on the UFF.
- Enrolling for fingerprints as of February 17, 2020, the New Jersey State Police Applicant Live Scan Fingerprinting Vendor (IDEMIA, formerly MorphoTrust USA) will be transitioning to a new enrollment system and website for scheduling of fingerprints. All applicants will go to IDEMIA’S new website at http://uenroll.identogo.com/. This will eliminate the traditional IdentoGo Universal Fingerprint Form and applicants will no longer be required to provide the form at Idemia’s IdentoGo fingerprinting locations. To register as a new applicant for fingerprint check you will enter in the following Service Code, 2F1J3Y that corresponds to NJ920610Z NJSP- Volunteer Review OPS Youth Serving Organization Volunteer YSB, then select “Schedule or Manage Appointment.” You will then enter in your “Essential Info” and once complete you will enter the Contributor’s Case Number, which is T05003.
Example of top of form:
|(1) Originating Agency Number (OR1 #)NJ920610Z- Youth Serving Organization||(2) CategoryYSB||(3) Statute Number15A:3A-1|
|(4) Reason for Fingerprinting YOUTH SERVING ORGANIZATION VOLUNTEER||(5) Document TypeVB1||(6) Payment Information $24.05|
|(7) Contributor’s Case # (Unique Identifier)T05003||(8) Miscellaneous|
- Next go to IdentoGo and follow the instructions.
- After you apply and pay on-line and receive your receipt – for the day of your appointment – make a copy and send it to:
Warren Recreation 46 Mountain Blvd. Warren, NJ 07059 or fax us at 908-757-9173 or email it to email@example.com.
Make sure there is an address, email, sport and phone on it so we can contact you when the State Letter arrives.
The Recreation Dept. will receive a letter from the State Police saying you passed or failed.
Warren Township Recreation will be notified if you fail the background check. We will let you know. At this point you can contact the State Police by filling out the Criminal History Record Information Release Form and mail it to the address attached to receive a copy of you background check.
All communication regarding your IdentoGo fingerprint appointment should be directed to their call center at 1-877-503-5981.
Please use the link below from Protect Youth Sports Verity account to apply for a coaches/board member background check (this is required three years after you have completed a NJ State Fingerprint. If you have not completed a NJ State Fingerprint please do not use this link, instead go to “For Coaches” Fingerprint instructions.