A Municipal Clerk, as defined in N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133, performs many Statutory duties and serves the Governing Body and Municipal Corporation. A Municipal Clerk maintains high ethical standards and remains impartial and apolitical in dealing with Public Officials and citizens.
The goals of the Warren Township Clerk and her staff is to assist and guide all residents and the general public in a friendly, helpful and courteous manner. The Office is an excellent source of information and maintains official documents including Ordinances, Resolutions, Minutes of the Governing Body meetings as well as legal documents.
The Statutory Core Duties/ Responsibilities of the Township Clerk are as follows:
Serves the Governing Body and Municipal Corporation
- Advise and guide the Township Committee on the Open Public Meetings Act, Elections, Open Public Records Act and other applicable Statutes.
- Prepare Resolutions, Ordinances, and Meeting Agendas. Attend all Township Committee meetings and prepare Minutes. Process and publish Ordinances.
- Maintain custody of official documents/records, the Municipal Seal, attests to signatures of Officials and signs official documents.
- Insure all OPRA Requests are handled in a timely manner.
- Administer Oaths of Office.
- Accepts service of legal documents.
- Oversee the Primary, General and School Board Elections. Tally Votes.
- Guide the Public on Voting rights and Election Laws.
- Provide Voter Registration forms (initial and any changes), Vote by Mail forms and Party Affiliation forms.
- Monitor Election District sizes and number of Voters.
- Secure Poling locations.
- Accept, certify and maintain receipt of Nominating Petitions.
- Responsible for implementing local archives and records programs including records storage, retention and destruction according to Statute.
- Responsible for all Liquor License activities including the renewal process, transfers or any changes to Licenses.
- Insure compliance with the Local Government Ethics Law regarding Financial Disclosure Statements.
- Review, approve and process Raffle and Bingo applications and Licenses, Block Party Permits, Social Affairs and Catering Permits, Parades/Walks/Run Permits, Public Auction Permits, Limo licenses.
- Receive and process Tort Claims
- Maintain receipt of Landlord/Tenant Registrations
Performs such other duties imposed by Statute, regulations or by municipal ordinance or regulation.