Below is a quick reference list of essential needs to assemble a Disaster Plan. More detailed information, and suggestions can be found at the following websites:
- Somerset County (click on Emergency Preparedness)
- American Red Cross
- New Jersey Homeland Security
- Disaster Supply Kit (update every six months)
- Water (one gallon of water per person per day)
- Food ( a three day supply of non perishable food per person)
- First Aid Kit
- Tools and Supplies (such as flashlight, batteries, battery powered radio)
- Clothing and Bedding (one change of clothing per person, one blanket per person)
- Special items (medications, eyeglasses, baby items, important family documents, extra set of keys, credit card, cash)
- Develop a Family Contact List for every member (work, school and cell phone numbers)
- Create an Emergency Contact List (out of area contacts, utility companies, physicians)
- Decide upon Reunion Points to meet (outside your home & outside the neighborhood)
- Keep informed. To access emergency information during a disaster, use the following media : Warren Township’s website’s home page.
- Online daily newspaper Warren Patch
- Warren Cable Station at Channel 15 (Cablevision) or Channel (Fios)
- Somerset County Emergency Alert System Radio Station: WNJT 88.1 FM
- Area newspapers such as The Echoes Sentinel and the Star Ledger
- Plan ahead for Care of Pets (crate, leash, food )
- Know how to turn off water, gas and electricity in your home
Warren Township has a REVERSE 911 system to communicate with residents during an emergency. If you loose electricity, you may receive the R911 messages on your cell phone by placing your cell phone number into the system. Go to www.warrenpolice.com, and click on the “GLOBAL CONNECTS” icon to fill out the form.
If you are or if you know of an individual with special needs who would have difficulty in meeting those needs during an emergency, sign up for Register Ready, a free confidential NJ online database that identifies residents with special needs in order for emergency responders to know who they are, what the needs are, and where they reside. Register Online or contact the Township Clerk for a paper form. You may also call 2-1-1 to register by phone.
Want to know how to be more self sustaining and knowledgeable about what to do during an emergency? Join our Warren Township Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) by taking the CERT course next time it is offered. The CERT course will train you in basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. CERT is an all-hazard, all-risk training program designed to teach you how to protect yourself, your family, your neighbors and community during a disaster situation. If you are interested in taking the course when it is next offered, email your name and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org